I realize that this post is late but I’ve wanted to say something about this for some time. Most people probably don’t realize this or even care but on June 9th, Dennis Kucinich introduced 35 articles of impeachment against President Bush. He bravely stood alone speaking for about 5 hours, detailing his arguments with examples and citations why we should impeach this criminal President. You see, it’s easy to forget over the past 7 ½ years all of the seriously criminal shit that this administration has been involved in. This is not to say previous administrations have not had their faults, but this administration has heaped up a mountain of shame that is so enormous that it gets hard to take in the full scope of it anymore.
Enter Dennis Kucinich. People have a notoriously bad memory for history. Even recent history, so its not surprising that scandal after scandal has been buried underneath Britney headlines or what Obama’s preacher said, or what his preacher’s hairdresser said, and at the end of the day people just let this shit go. Not Dennis. There he is standing alone, detailing charge after charge that has been laid against this administration on CSPAN with little to no news coverage preceding it or following it. I found this because of a footnote of an article in the political blog of the Chicago Tribune that was entered about 3 hours into his speech.
Democrats, take a page from Kucinich. I know he’s pretty damn far away from a uniter of political beliefs. But he’s right, goddammit. Why are the Democrats keeping impeachment off the table? Why do they fold like a lawn chair every time they run into the slightest bit of resistance despite their majority in the House and Senate? Why are the majority of them caving on FISA(that means you too, Obama!) Is it some kind of Stockholm syndrome from the Republicans running the agenda for the last 7 ½ years? Or worse, is it because the Democrats are learning to leverage the hate against George W. Bush to their advantage and it isn’t politically expedient for them to impeach Bush? Regardless, I understand the reasons for not impeaching him. However, it still pisses me off that there are only a handful of congressman out there standing up for what is right. This administration has done criminal things and deserves to be impeached. At the very least, it deserves to be investigated. If you want to take a look at the reasons why, check out http://www.democrats.com/files/amomentoftruth.pdf. If you don’t have time to look through 65 pages of charges, I’ve listed a summary of the articles that were brought forth. I’ll admit that some of these articles aren’t impeachable offenses, I’ll even admit that the case for some of these articles wouldn’t be strong enough on their own to warrant an investigation, but on the whole a good deal of these charges have enough evidence, witness testimony and documentation to warrant an investigation.
1. Creating a secret propaganda campaign to manufacture a false case for war against Iraq.
2. Falsely, systematically, and with criminal intent conflating the attacks of September 11, 2001 with misrepresentation of Iraq as a Security Threat As Part of Fraudulent Justification for a War of Aggression.
3. Misleading the American people and members of Congress to believe Iraq possessed weapons of Mass Destruction to manufacture a false case for war.
4. Misleading the American people and members of Congress to believe Iraq posed an imminent threat to the United States.
5. Illegally misspending funds to secretly begin a war of aggression.
6. Invading Iraq in violation of the Requirements of HJRes114.
7. Invading Iraq absent a declaration of War.
8. Invading Iraq, a sovereign nation, in violation of the UN charter.
9. Failing to provide troops with body armor and vehicle armor.
10. Falsifying accounts of US troop deaths and injuries for political purposes.
11. Establishment of permanent US military bases in Iraq.
12. Initiating a war against iraq for control of that nation’s resources.
13. Creating a secret task force to develop energy and military policies with respect to iraq and other countries.
14. Misprision of a felony, misuse and exposure of classified information and obstruction of justice in the matter of Valerie Plame Wilson, clandestine agent of the CIA.
15. Providing immunity from prosecution for Criminal constractors in Iraq.
16. Reckless misspending and waste of US tax dollars in connection with Iraq and US contractors.
17. Illegal detention: detaining indefinitely and without charge persons both US citizens and foreign captives.
18. Torture: Secretly authorizing and encouraging the use of torture against captives in Afghanistan, Iraq and other place as a matter of official policy.
19. Rendition: Kidnapping people and taking them against their will to “Black Sites” located in other nations, including nations known to practice torture.
20. Imprisoning children.
21. Misleading Congress and the American people about threats from Iran, and supporting terrorist organizations within Iran, with the goal of overthrowing the Iranian government.
22. Creating secret laws
23. Violation of the Posse Comitatus Act.
24. Spying on American citizens, without a court ordered warrant in violation of the law and the 4th amendment.
25. Directing telecommunication companies to create an illegal and unconstitutional database of the private telephone numbers and emails of American citizens
26. Announcing the intent to violate laws with signing statements.
27. Failing to comply with congressional subpoenas and instructing former employees not to comply.
28. Tampering with free and fair elections, corruption of the administration of justice.
29. Conspiracy to violate the voting rights act of 1965.
30. Misleading congress and the american people in an attempt to destroy medicare.
31. Katrina, Failure to plan for the predicted disaster of Hurricane Katrina, Failure to respond to a Civil Emergency.
32. Misleading Congress and the American people, systematically undermining efforts to address global climate change.
33. Repeatedly ignored and failed to respond to high level intelligence reports warnings of planned terrorist attacks in the US, prior to 9/11.
34. Obstruction of the investigation into the attacks of September 11, 2001.
35. Endangering the health of 911 first responders.
Here’s a vid on one of the articles of impeachment: